There are seven things in hell that ought to be in the Church as we fulfill our heavenly purpose.
The Gospel of Luke gives us this timely reminder.
“There was a rich man who was clothed in purple and fine linen and who feasted sumptuously every day. And at his gate was laid a poor man named Lazarus, covered with sores, who desired to be fed with what fell from the rich man’s table. Moreover, even the dogs came and licked his sores.” Luke 16:19-21, ESV
“The poor man died and was carried by the angels to Abraham’s side. The rich man also died and was buried, and in Hades, being in torment, he lifted up his eyes and saw Abraham far off and Lazarus at his side.” Luke 16:22-23
We need a vision of what eternity looks like on both sides – heaven and hell. Sadly it is only in times of trials that we lift up our eyes and see the vision of the work of God in our lives. Let us see the people around us through the lens of eternity.
- Tears“And he called out, ‘Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus to dip the end of his finger in water and cool my tongue, for I am in anguish in this flame.” Luke 16:24We need tears of compassion, tears of intercession, tears of travail and tears of repentance.
- Remembrance“But Abraham said, ‘Child, remember that you in your lifetime received your good things, and Lazarus in like manner bad things; but now he is comforted here, and you are in anguish.” Luke 16:25We need to remember to make the right choices, remember our high calling. Is our priority the riches of this life? This is not to say that you may not enjoy a blessed life, but the blessings in this life should not be exchanged for the blessings of eternal life. The Christian life is a life of decisions.
What do you choose?
“For what will it profit a man if he gains the whole world and forfeits his soul? Or what shall a man give in return for his soul.” Matthew 16:26
- Separation“And besides all this, between us and you a great chasm has been fixed, in order that those who would pass from here to you may not be able, and none may cross from there to us.” Luke 16:26There is a difference between light and darkness! There is going to be a time of judgment.
- Prayer“And he said, ‘Then I beg you, father, to send him to my father’s house— for I have five brothers —so that he may warn them, lest they also come into this place of torment.”Luke 16:27We need to travail in prayer for those who do not have Hope.
“Pray without ceasing” 1 Thessalonians 5:17
- MissionsBe ready to be sent! The Church must be ready to eject people out into the mission field.
- Concern“For I have five brothers—so that he may warn them, lest they also come into this place of torment.” Luke 16:28 The rich man wanted Lazarus to be sent as a missionary because he was concerned for the salvation of his brothers. This needs to be our motive for prayer and missions.We do not act out of fear, but out of concern and love for the souls of our loved ones. God has saved us so that we can save someone else.
It is time to fight like hell.